Don’t let the ‘vegan’ title (or my amateur foodie photography) fool you, this vegan chili is ah-mazing.
I love how easy it is to throw together, and then the slow cooker does all of the heavy lifting. I usually toss the ingredients together in my slow cooker the night before, pop it in the fridge, and then in the morning I just turn the slow cooker on low and at the end of the work day I come home to a great-smelling apartment and an even better tasting dinner.
There are probably more fancy machines out there, but I just have an elderly slow cooker with 2 settings: low and high. Because I’m usually gone for 8-9 hours during the day, I always cook my chili on low. If you have a more advanced slow cooker, you may be able to set a timer. This recipe really only needs about 2 1/2 – 3 hours on high or 5 – 6 hours on low.
This chili is jam-packed with protein (from the beans and quinoa), vitamins and antioxidants (from the various vegetables) and fibre (from the beans). It will leave you feeling full and satisfied.
Without further ado, here are the ingredient list and directions. Enjoy, and let me know what you think!
This makes a HUGE batch – enough for 5 – 6 servings.
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup quinoa, uncooked (make sure to rinse well and drain first)
- 19 oz can mixed beans, drained and rinsed
- 14 oz diced tomatoes
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chop all of the veggies and mince the garlic
- Add everything together in the slow cooker and stir well
- Turn slow cooker on low, cook for minimum 5 hours
- Optional: Top with avocado, fresh cilantro or diced green onion